Allan Hancock College
Kinesiology Instructor/Men’s Basketball Coach
Department: Kinesiology, Recreation & Athletics Department
Category: Full-time, tenure track faculty position
Closing Date: 4/19/2013
This is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position (10-month annual contract, 175 day) in the Kinesiology, Recreation & Athletics department. The anticipated start date is August 2013.
The incumbent provides instruction in Kinesiology, Recreation & Athletics and serves as head men’s basketball coach. As head men’s basketball coach, the incumbent represents the college at athletic competitions; organizes and schedules practices; participates in recruitment activities under the direction of the college, western states conference, and California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA); participates in the student-athlete retention program; advises and assists students athletes in achieving stated academic objectives and transfer to four-year institutions; coordinates off-season training; supervises team budgets and purchases equipment; organizes fundraising, marketing, and promotions as needed; and hires and supervises assistant coaches.
The primary teaching responsibilities include, but are not limited to, teaching physical education activity classes health education, or other course offerings which support the Kinesiology degree; evaluating and counseling students; planning and organizing instructional materials toward course objectives; maintain and measurement of student learning outcomes; participating in program reviews and curriculum development; maintaining five (5) required office hours for student consultation; participating fully in department and college activities; and performing related duties as required. The assignment may include evening and weekend activities at any college site.
• August 2013, pending board approval.
• Part-time instructional opportunity available for summer 2013 to prepare Men’s Basketball program for fall.
SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS
• Annual salary range is from $48,736 to $69,854 depending upon education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,000 is paid to those who qualify.
• Fringe benefits include medical and dental for employee and family.
• A $7,000 stipend is provided annually for coaching
• Requires a master’s degree in physical education, kinesiology, or education with an emphasis in physical education; OR a bachelor’s in physical education/kinesiology and a master’s in health education, recreation administration or kinesiology; OR the equivalent, OR a valid California community college credential authorizing full-time service as a physical instructor.
• Requires evidence of sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students with disabilities.
• Successful experience coaching men’s basketball at the intercollegiate level or at least 5 years head coaching experience at the high school level
• Demonstrated success in fundraising
• Demonstrated success recruiting athletes and use of social media
• Demonstrated commitment to compliance with athlete’s code of conduct
• Demonstrated currency in the instruction of physical education
• Demonstrated knowledge of multicultural learning theory and practices
• Demonstrated ability to develop and use resource material and incorporate current computer technology
• Demonstrated ability to use multimedia technology in classroom instruction
• Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and present lecture and lesson materials and concepts and to assess student achievement
• Demonstrated ability to design, review, and evaluate curriculum and make recommendations to maintain program currency for both vocational and transfer students
• Demonstrated ability to work with and assist students having a broad range of skills, motivation, and academic or vocational goals
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both in oral and written communication
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others
• Demonstrated knowledge of course design
• Demonstrated knowledge of evaluation and assessment methods
• Knowledge of and demonstrated experience implementing the interrelationship of critical thinking, reading, and writing.
In its desire to select outstanding faculty members from the largest possible pool of qualified applicants, Allan Hancock College recognizes the fact that candidates may have attained expertise in a discipline through a variety of means. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged by the district as equal to the above stated qualifications for this position. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications are encouraged to complete the equivalency form and provide appropriate documentation of their qualifications.
A committee will review applications. Meeting the stated qualifications does not assure a candidate an interview. Therefore, it is important that the application be thorough and detailed. Applicants will be assessed on the breadth and depth of education, training, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities. A limited number of applicants will be invited for an interview at the college at their own expense. All interviewed candidates will be asked to present a short teaching demonstration. Final candidates may be required to pass a pre-employment drug screening.
All application materials must be received at the college human resources office by 4:00 p.m., Friday, April 19, 2013. A committee will review application materials as soon as possible after the published deadline. Incomplete or late applications may not be considered. The district reserves the right to extend time limits, reinitiate, or withdraw the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Incomplete or late applications may not be accepted. Applications may not be submitted by e- mail. Interviews will be held the week of May 13, 2013.
To be considered as a candidate for this position, the following application materials must be received at the college human resources office by
4:00 p.m., Friday, April 19, 2013:
• A signed district application for faculty/administrative positions
• A separate statement, not to exceed three (3) pages, which states how you specifically fit the Qualifications Profile and demonstrates how you have employed each of the qualifications
• A current and complete resume of education and professional experience
• Transcripts (official not necessary) unless hired
For application materials please visit our Web site at http://hancockcollege.edu/human_resources/employment-opportunities.php or contact:
Allan Hancock College
Human Resources, Building U
800 South College Drive
Santa Maria, CA 93454-6399
(805) 922-6966, extension 3378